Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm a Florida Girl, I can Handle the Sun

…or so I thought. I’ve grown up in Florida, spent countless mornings, afternoons and evenings in a bathing suit on the beach, rarely using much sunscreen (spare me the health speeches please) and so why would I think laying on a beach in St. Croix would be any different? Well I should have listened to those telling me “the sun is different here.” I went to the beach with my girl Shabiki and did the norm – covered my face in sunblock and set my timer in order to turn over in 30 minutes. That afternoon I passed by my cabin mirror to see my stomach was the darkest shade of red, along with my thighs and legs. I have never been sunburnt, and I can guarantee all of you worrying about me out there, I bought a bottle of sunblock this morning and will always believe it when someone tells me “the sun is different here.”

St. Thomas proved to be one of the strangest days I’ve ever had working aboard a cruise ship. As I sat at the free internet station paying my bills, a dancer rushes in and tells us that the ship has been roped off and no one is allowed to go back onboard. I kind of brushed it off thinking something to do with immigration probably. Slowly giant groups of guests began invading what is normally a place only the crew knows of. As we all huddled up we began exchanging information and as it turned out there was a bomb threat. They were taking every precaution and I honestly didn’t mind the extra time in port. I made some more friends, had some beers and took a colleague on her first trip to Hooters. Something everyone should always experience.

I attended my first Wine and Cheese on the Summit. I really enojyed myself, let loose a little and made more friends. I must say the whole experience of working on a ship is completely dependant upon the people around you. I like a lot of the people here the more I get to know them.

Today we found a small beach in St. Kitts with a bar and grill. It’s small, out of the way and has cheap beer – the perfect spot for crew in their time off.

The Summit becomes my home away from home more and more everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment