Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Big Cheese

This being boss thing isn't too bad. I kinda like being in charge. I can run this office the way I want to and don't have to follow anyone's schedule but my own (and the Cruise Director...) I can get used to this.

I'm feeling rather thoughtful at present, though. I had a picnic in Copenhagen last week, beers in Germany, and today had my lunch at the back of the ship with the skyline of Stockholm as our backdrop. I take it for granted some days. Don't get me wrong, though no one seems to believe me, there are definite cons to living out here. Moments where I'm laughing til my sides hurt on a blanket in Denmark make it bearable, though.

I like to write out these moments where I realize what I've got going here, so that when I do silly things like complain about having to work in Russia I can have a nice reminder that I'm lucky.

I just had one of those moments again. I was pleasantly greeted this morning with an e-mail from my sister. I always love hearing from family out here, especially Allie. She writes asking for advice on study abroad and which country she should apply for. I read it and immediately started giving it some thought when I had to stop and take notice of how easily I was able to consider my response. I've spent significant time in both countries and realized I was fully capable of giving insight on a matter of world travel. It's another "shake my head" moment. Another moment where I realize how lucky I am. Another moment I never in my wildest dreams I would ever have. Who would have ever guessed I would be able to tell my little sister which country she'd like more... because I've been to both!

The big boss in Europe... again...

No comments:

Post a Comment