Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wait, Where Are the Pews?

So what did I do with my day today?

Well, I went into St. Petersburg, Russia and was the videographer of a Russian Orthodox wedding in a classic cathedral. Yea...

So I had my buddy Dany with me and we had a game plan. He would set up in the back behind the pews for a straight on shot of the couple at the altar and I would roam around getting different angles. Simple, right?

Imagine our surprise when we walked in and there were no pews... Just one long walkway. Well, here's how they do it in Russia. The couple stood at the beginning of this walkway in this elaborately ornate cathedral. Golds and blues among these antiks of saints and Jesus. Dany and I had to scrub the initial game plan and go with the flow. Bigger problem? As I'm not Russian and neither is my Canadian friend, we can't step on the carpet - leaving me stuck on my side and him on the other. Communication was not possible. Luckily, he and I work so well together a few minutes in he could see what I was doing (straight on, steady shot) so he knew what to do (close ups). I kept a close eye on my little foot as to not step on the sacred carpet. I was so careful, as I was also the only woman in the room with no head cover. Those of you who know me know I am extremely spiritual and very cautious of respecting other religions. Not having a head cover was so embarrassing for me.

The ceremony involves a choir (that I could never spot) and Russian priests who sing the whole service. It's all in Russian so I haven't a clue what I was listening to. The best man and maid of honor (I suppose that's what you call them) stand behind the bride and groom and follow them down the aisle, which they cover in installments. First there's a candle lighting. The priests sing, read from the Bible and everyone crosses themselves. Then they move down the aisle and go over this little stage thing and the best man and maid of honor stay on the stage above the couple. Then another priest in the prettiest green robes brings these crowns out to be held over the heads of the couple by the best man and maid of honor. They continue singing and then the couples moves up onto the altar where the priest gives them each antik icons to hold. That's when they come to the end, stand holding their icons and the guests are meant to approach them, wish the best of luck, and kiss their icons.

It was certainly not something I ever thought I would see.

After the ceremony we waited outside the church as they rang the bells and then the whole lot of us (most of the senior staff onboard and family) went to the square in front of St. Isaac's Cathedral for photos. I am a friend of the bride so it was very sweet of her to ask for a picture with me without my camera. My friends I took our own photos, we drank champagne from plastic cups and did shots of vodka on the river side. For good luck, of course...

Then there was a small, quick reception in one of the specialty restaurants onboard with cake cutting, chocolate fondues and more champagne.

Really not a bad way to spend my last Russia day. 48 days left on the Eclipse...

No comments:

Post a Comment