Friday, May 6, 2011

I Made it Through the Bermuda Triangle!

Today is the kind of day I remember when I was kid - warm sun, cool breeze, and blue sky. I remember walking home from the bus stop in those perfect light jacket days and just feeling happy. Now for a Florida girl it meant the beginning of a light winter. Here in Bermuda, however, it means the end of spring.

I knew once I started seeing new places I would have the urge to blog again. Bermuda is amazing. Absolutely amazing. We dock in the Royal Naval Dockyard and it’s the cutest little area. There are palm trees, brick sidewalks, pubs, souvenir stands, a gazebo, craft markets and a pharmacy. It’s like our own little town since our ship will stay docked there three days out of the week. We can go to the pharmacy and get amazing mint chocolate chip milkshakes and walk around watching the kids play after school (which we did today) It’s a place we will easily get to know and love. I already love it there. The water is a shallow, pale blue that we can see the bottom of as we’re docking. The pier reminds me of Beach Street, but the streets remind me of St. Augustine… or Portugal. It’s exciting to look around and think of all the things I want to do before we leave. I want to go to the capital, Hamilton, on the ferry. I want to rent a scooter for a day and get lost on the island. I want to be on the beach when the sun goes down. I want to take the free tour through the fort. I want to swim with the Dolphins. I want to swing on the swing set outside Snorkel Park after a night of dancing.

Diana, Lauri and I went straight for the English pub “The Frog and Onion.” Love. Love. Love. Instantly. They have pints of Magners – done.

Last night was our first overnight on the Summit. It was Diana’s first overnight ever. When you haven’t set foot on solid land at night in 6 months you’d be surprised how exciting it really is. I saw the street lamps when we were out during the day and had a jolt of excitement thinking about how I would soon see those lit up. It’s those little things that make life just a little more normal. A giant gang of us got off the ship and went to the crew favorite – Snorkel Park. It’s essentially a beach bar that turns into a night club after dark. It was fun to be at a proper bar, with a breeze (much like Mai Tai’s for my Daytona fans) and ship friends. It’s different, but a novelty.

The greatest part, though, the part that brought tears to my eyes was putting my feet in the waves at night. My favorite thing to do at home is to go to the beach at night. There’s something so natural and beautiful to me about a dark beach. Lauri and Diana and Eric danced around while I just marveled at all the stars and thought of home. I thought of my beach and the way my friends from home dance around at the beach at night. I just thanked God for the amazing things in my life.

Now we’re sailing to New Jersey and I’m counting the days until we get back to Bermuda. I’m a little sad I’ll only have a month here, but with certain special people, it will be quite a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment