Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quite a Contract... So Far...

Ups and downs out here in the Caribbean and as one person very close to me has pointed out, I have neglected my blogging!

I feel so different coming to the last month of this contract. I know I have made incredible friends this time around and have even begun planning a post-ship life with a few of them. I have realized that while this job I hold is fun and rewarding in its own way, I need, have to have, crave and am completely miserable without creativity in my life.

I have begun editing again. My new assistant and I bounce ideas back and forth and generally work well together. I created a Nascar themed commercial for our race car challenge we do at the poolside (thanks Daytona). I made a commercial for our "Newlywed and not so Newlywed" Game Show in the style of the original show, and Baywatch was the inspiration for my Officer vs Guests Volleyball Tournament promo. It feels good to be creative and feel like I'm kind of turning this place around. There's a whole new archive of promos, I'm creating new movie slides and trying to amp up the production value on things. It seems to be receiving positive feedback.

We are currently sailing to St. Thomas for the last time and then we will be sailing north to begin our Bermuda runs. I am very excited for this. I love the Caribbean, but I am SO ready for something new. I need a new site to see and a new magnet for my wall.

The days run together down here. Nothing really stands out. There's the occasional cruise where something exciting happens (Tiffany being onboard, Lauri's parents on for a visit, Kyle DJs in the crew bar, Under the Sea birthday parties, etc.), but this last week was one of the best sea days ever! I woke up at 3:30 am - yes 3:30 am... ok maybe I was still up - to record the Royal Wedding so it would be rebroadcast throughout the day. So after a loooooong morning of backtiming and scheduling channels so everything would go off without a hitch, I went with Diana, Adam and Eric to high tea at our specialty restaurant, The Normandie. It was so delightful. Adam and Diana - being British - taught Eric and me - being American - all about British tea. As it turns out, I like English Breakfast Tea! We ate those and mini sandwiches and watched the waves roll by. Then we had to run because the tea party in the staff bar was beginning. We all wore tiaras and giant light up engagement rings and the Food and Beverage team even made a wedding cake for the event as we watched William and Kate say "I will." Poor Diana missed London and we all sat around waiting for the kiss. It was a nice way to spend the wedding day - and Diana and all the Brits felt so happy to have a day onboard where they could celebrate being British... seeing as onboard people are typically celebrating not being British.

My friend Lauri likes to speak through lists. So because of her I have the urge to do this. Things I'm looking forward to:
1) Bermuda overnights
2) Spending more time with special people who will be gone soon
3) New Jersey... strange I know...
4) My vacation starting June 5th
5) My trip to the UK on June 10th
6) My first 4th of July in the States in 2 years!
7) A possible road trip to Charlotte
8) Going back to Unity
9) Publix
10)A full day of no work!

Still one month to go. If it's been anything like the last 6 have been I look forward to it. It'll be a month of extreme highs and way down there lows. Let's do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment