Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Virgin Gorda

**Written last night** :) :)

Look at this – two blogs in two days! Today’s excursion was so monumental I couldn’t pass up the chance to share.

Today the Celebrity Summit docked in Tortola – a British Virgin Island – and everyone onboard had heard about this amazing island right near Tortola, Virgin Gorda. So a bunch of people from entertainment and I get up at 8:30 am (yes, me. 8:30. Better believe it.) and catch a ferry to Virgin Gorda. The travel there was most of the day. We arrive and get on an open-air taxi/bus thing and finally make it to The Baths. Our adventure begins.

We squeeze through two huge boulders and begin a journey through one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. These rock formations looked like something out of Jurassic Park. I really did expect to see a pterodactyl overhead at some point. My friends and I climbed all over these things, taking photos and not believing our eyes. Massive boulders leaned against one another and let just a bit of sun peak in and say hello to the shallow water underneath. Diana climbed a rock and took a “Little Mermaid” photo and I was slightly jealous, knowing my little legs wouldn’t reach the top of that boulder. Then when we made our way through the caves the beach we arrived on was hands down, the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, and that’s saying something! It reminded me of those water parks in Orlando they were that perfect, but these weren’t man made. The water was a blue I struggle to describe. It was bright, almost like crystal. There were rocks standing out amongst the swimmers and snorkellers. Mountains in the distance kept us contained in our little paradise. It was incredible. I played “Categories” with a friend and laughed until I couldn’t breathe, each dunk underwater reminding me of playing that game as a kid. A little girl and her father swam near us watching the whole thing and she giggled each time I was thrown underwater. I started talking to her about the difference in “water wings” and “floaties.” My new little friend was named Sienna, she was turning 4 “on June” and with the stresses of ship life lately, she was the happiest conversation I’d had in days.

A little close call with all aboard time and we were back on the ship. It was a funny way to leave behind the Caribbean – literally running through the island of Tortola hearing Caribbean accents yelling, “You’ll be fine, baby. Slow down!” Now we sail off to Bermuda. I’m keeping an eye on the tracking of the ship. Sometime tomorrow we’ll be right along the same latitude as Daytona. I’ll be sailing past home. Perhaps a trip to the top deck and a squint of the eyes is in order. If those I love in Daytona happen

No comments:

Post a Comment