Saturday, July 4, 2009

Choppy Night

Since I have written I have gotten more used to life on the Century.

Last Tuesday we docked in Tromso, Norway. Tromso isn’t exactly charming the way Alesund is. It’s more industrial and less Hansel and Gretel. It was also awfully cold in Tromso, though not nearly as freezing as Honningsvag. As I strolled through the Norwegian town on Wednesday afternoon, I was on a mission. I needed deodorant. The first piece of advice I give to anyone packing for a trip to Europe is bring enough stick deodorant to last you, because the Europeans don’t sell stick deodorant. So what did I forget to bring more of? Stick deodorant. I found a small pharmacy where I bought, you guessed it – roll-on deodorant. Yuck. As I left the store I rolled my eyes at the fact that flurries were falling on my wool cap and trench coat as my friends are probably gathering their beach towels and suntan lotion for a morning lounging in Daytona.

That night we had the crew party. I realized how it’s possible to feel lonely in a room packed where you’re standing elbow to elbow. I’m still really homesick. I’m growing closer to people everyday, like the Youth Staff girls Tina and Valeria, and the Spa girls Cara and Liz. I also really like my roommate Kellyn. She’s the trombone player in the Century Orchestra from Seattle. Making friends with men is almost out of the question. The European ones are pretty much always hitting on you. So I’ll stick with the girls. I still miss home constantly. There’s not a thing around me I don’t relate to someone back home. Kellyn’s from Seattle, which is where Zach is now. Val’s from L.A. which sparks thoughts of Evan and Ryan and then my other Late Night friends. The video of the activity staff member doing interpretive dance to “Time After Time” clearly brings images of a laughing Tiffany to mind, and “Drop Dead Gorgeous” was the crew movie the other night. If I have to explain that one you clearly don’t know me well enough.

Living in the cabins on the ship reminds me of college. There are less people than at Elon, but it’s a very college/study abroad mind set. Secrets are never kept, like in Moffitt Hall. Everything’s rushed like when studying abroad and time is so precious.

Yesterday we docked in Molde, Norway for a beautiful day of strolling the main street. I went out with my friend Cara from South Africa. She’s quiet and sweet. The more we chatted, the more I realized how much we have in common. We’re both 22, with younger sisters and divorced parents. I loved talking with her, but unfortunately she’s really not liking ship life and thinking of leaving at the end of the month. I know she’s not happy, but part of me hopes she finds adjusting easier so that I can keep my friend around.

It’s amazing the places all of my new friends are from. There’s a man from Chile, a man from Slavonia, a guy born in India and raised in Jamaica, friends from Canada, South Africa, Hungary, the Philippines, Germany, Belgium, Paraguay, Australia, and of course the US. There are people from everywhere. 54 nations on one tiny ship. It’s unreal.

Today, though, is the 4th of July! So today I am even more proud of my accent. I love the States, and it’s sad that I won’t be there for the fireworks. However, if I have to be away, Geiranger Norway is not a bad spot to be in. This morning I looked out on deck and saw the beautiful surroundings.

We are really lucky that today lunch was a barbeque on the crew deck. Deck 7 is reserved for crew and it’s that coveted spot at the very front of the ship. It’s beautiful. I walked out to find burgers and hot dogs set out on the deck of tables and chairs. The ship was docked in the middle of these Norwegian fjords. It was breathtaking. I enjoyed my meal with my American friends, with Jamaicans, Australians and Chileans stopping by for a quick hello.

I had to run back to the broadcast room for some work, but then when the barbeque was cleared I went to the crew deck to write in my journal. It was an out of body experience. I saw myself sitting on this deck in this northern paradise. The water sparkling at the bottom of these fjords and there I am – a tiny girl on a ship with her little notebook. I am constantly astounded at this. Waterfalls cascaded down the cliffs. It’s so peaceful. The rock faces reminded me of riding through Pennsylvania as a child. In the mist there was a mountain with snow on the top. Seagulls sang as I looked up at the highest fjord. The clouds look like their touching it and the highest peak appears to be in Heaven itself. I can’t even fathom what it must be like up there. It’s all too beautiful to wrap my head around.

I really feel like my emotions are on 24/7 roller coaster. I’m stressed one second, then relieved and laughing at myself for being stressed in the first place, then homesick, then so peaceful after watching the waves. There are nights (and I use that term loosely since the sun never really sets in Norway) where the waves are calm and misty so it looks like we’re sailing on silk. Then there are nights like tonight. The waves are undulating and it creates the most awesome blue shades when looking off the side of the ship. The spray reminds me of the Little Mermaid and I just want to push off a rock and belt “Part of Your World.” It’s really awesome, though it makes walking in the ship really difficult. I don’t get too seasick but nights like these are rough. I can’t walk in the hall without accidentally bumping into the walls. Now I can hear the water crashing and slamming into the sides of my room and I’m thanking God above that I still haven’t been too seasick – just queasy every now and then.

Like I said, it gets a little better everyday.

3 comments:

  1. I miss you so much! Reading your blog is like being with you for a little bit. I'm going to write to you soon.

    Tick tock, bye bye clock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bye the way, as the resident English major, you write beautifully! "Sailing on silk." You know my love of alliteration....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Undulating. Good word. I'd like to undulate you.

    ReplyDelete