Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Can See Alaska From Here!

Ok, so I actually couldn't see Alaska from St. Petersburg, but I squinted and you betchya I tried!
Anyway, Sunday and Monday the Century was docked in St. Petersburg, Russia. It was nice to not have the rocking and rolling for a little bit. I got out on a tour, I swear someone at shore excursions must really like me, and went on "City Highlights and Pushkin." I was a little afraid at first, with all of the formalities at Russian immigration, but they weren't so bad. I even got a new stamp in my passport! Not every port does that.
My tour was small with just 8 people. We got a nice little van to drive us around all day and a sweet tour guide named Eugenia. Our first stop was the Russian Cathedral right next to the statue of the city's founder, Peter the Great. The Cathedral had these giant red pillars that Eugenia said had all been lifted by man. I couldn't believe it. It always amazes me the things humans are capable of.
Our next stop was an hour outside the city. Pushkin was the entire reason I signed up for this tour. What could possibly be in Pushkin, you may be asking yourself. I would respond with an enthusiastic, Catherine's Palace! The palace of Catherine I was stunning. The most beautiful robin's egg blue you've ever seen, said to be modeled after their daughter's eyes. It was so bright and the white was so pure it looked sweet. If you had told me the whole thing was made of cake and frosting I would have believed you. I later found that to be true of much of old Russian architecture. It's all very elaborate. It all reminded me of the "It's A Small World" ride in Disney World. Never thought a place like that actually existed. In Catherine's Palace we toured the golden suite of rooms. I was completely taken with the whole palce. From the paintings on the ceilings, to the gold cherubs and angels on the walls all the way down to the perfectly wooden flowers decorating the floor. I just couldn't get enough of it. It was so bright and grand and elaborate.
Then the final golden room was the reason I wanted to come to Catherine's Palace. In my sophomore year of college I was assigned to do a short commercial for a documentary on the Amber Room. The minute I heard that the Amber Room was on some of our tours I knew I had to be there. We walked in and I couldn't believe how full circle everything had come. Just two years ago I was learning about this room and writing a creative commercial about it, and now there I was standing in it. It's just one of those moments where you stop and aks yourself, who knew? and how did I get so lucky?
Next we went to the Hermitage for a photo stop. Again, very It's-A-Small-World decadent.
Ok, so yes I loved St. Petersburg, but here's what I was not so crazy about: the food. Oh boy. Those of you that know me are well aware that I'm one of the world's pickiest eaters. When I travel, however, I think it's really important to stay open minded and try new things. So I promised myself I would at least try everything they put in front of me. First there was a rather dry vegetable salad. Pass. Then the waiter brought out champagne. Accept. He set a plate in front of me with two little pancakes, one topped with a sour cream like thing, and the other with caviar. Yes, caviar. I thought, wow, I have champagne and caviar in front of me, this is so classy. Well... I tried it. Let's just say the sensation of chewing fish eggs is not one I would like to repeat anytime soon. I did continue to enjoy the champagne, though.
Next we went to Peter and Paul Fortress and again I found myself feeling like I'd walked into yet another picture book. The cathedral in the fortress holds the graves of emperors and empresses of the past and the Romanov family. While looking at the tombstones I realized just how beautiful Russian girl's names are. Anastasia, Alexis, Tatyana, Catherine, and Elizabeth. So elegant.
Our final stop was the Church of the Spilled Blood. The sun was setting behind it, which made for some great shots, but the colors were not as vibrant without the sun shine on it. It was still breathtaking. It looked like some Russian princess should be walking out at the moment to address her subjects. The domes were decorated with mosaics and colors that made it look, again, like a fairy tale.
I use this metaphor a lot. I should explain so that no one thinks I mean the same thing each time. I have been to many places where I feel like I am "walking into a picture book." The first time was when I lived in Ireland. In my head those stories always involved peasant girls and and castles within the meadows. Geiranger is where trolls approach people gazing at the waterfalls - the same can be said for Olden. Alesund would be home to stories of young children with braids and suspendors constantly disobeying thier parents and learning valuable lessons. St. Petersburg, though, would be the place of grand stories. They would be of princesses dressed as stunningly as thier buildings. They stroll the streets and little girls admire them. White horses trot by carrying strapping noblemen. It is where fantastic dances would be held where everyone attended all night. The women would be twirled about with their colorful skirts flowing as if to make them look like they're floating on air. At least this is what I pictured on my day in Russia.
That night we were lucky enough to get another Wine and Cheese Night, but this time it was on the bow of the ship on the open air crew deck. It was beautiful. We had glasses of wine under the stars with St. Petersburg as the back drop. I felt so classy, then I remembered my encounter with the caviar and felt secure in the fact that I would never be too classy. I like that I maintain a bit of my unsophisticated nature.
Last night was our crew party. The theme was International Flag Night. Crew members came with their nations' flag around their neck. Some people got awfully creative. John had three ties on, one for each color ofthe Italian flag. Laura had a small Hungarian flag on her cheek, and of course we Americans never buy that tacky 4th of July stuff, and last night we really regretted it. We found one amongst the decorations and took turns passing it around for photos. It was simple since there are only 10 or 12 of us around.
Today we had a crew boat drill which left little time out in port. It's too bad, too, since Tallinn, Estonia is really cute. Next time I want to take more time to walk around and enjoy the little city. We are sailing towards Copenhagen now and we'll be there on Thursday. I really hope that this theme of fairy tales continues there. How could it not? After all, Copenhagen is the home of my all time favorite fairy tale - The Little Mermaid. Oh yea, you know I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment