Monday, July 20, 2009

If the Boat's A-Rockin'... It Must be the North Sea.

Yep, I’m getting used to this life at sea.

Last Thursday I went on a crew tour in Geiranger, Norway. It’s easily one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever seen. This is where we docked for the 4th and had our barbeque, but this time I got off the ship. It was great to spend the day with Val and Tina. The bus we were on took us to the top of Mount Dalsnibba – about 5000 feet above sea level. It was beautiful and freezing up there. There were patches of snow all over, enough for the crew to have a full on snowball fight in the middle of July. Priceless.

The next day I took another tour. This time it was with guests and my manager. We were out getting stock footage for corporate. Our bus took us to the Kjendallen Glacier. I am really grateful to see all of this beauty, but it’s almost overwhelming. I need a dirty gutter or graffiti alleyway in my life soon. Too much of a good thing, ya know? There’s only so many times I can have my breath taken away by a fjord.

The next day was Bergen. Bergen is definitely my favorite Norwegian port. I got to take a coach tour in the morning and spent the afternoon walking around with Karen and Val. We found a TGIFriday’s with free wi-fi and totally took advantage of it. I got the best burger of my life (maybe it’s just the fact that it’s not ship food) and had a nice cider. It was just what I needed at the time.

The next day was a sea day. What’s worse? A day in the North Sea. It’s so rocky and the theater is easily the worst place to be for rocking, and that’s where I do most of my shooting on sea days. Oh well, I’ll get it.

I’m making more friends and this place is starting to feel really comfortable. I still think of home daily. I have this habit of finding a window and being mesmerized by the waves. I stare at them and think of home, the future, my friends, my family, my life here, money, jobs, places to visit, places to live, just everything. In front of the waves, though, I don’t feel stress. I don’t feel sad. I don’t feel anything. I’m just there. Thinking and wandering my mind. It’s the best meditation ever.

The other night I began bonding with the Activity Staff and for the first time really felt like Kenzie. I laughed, made jokes, spoke up, came out of my shell, essentially. It was nice to feel like that again.

Today we were back in Amsterdam. I enjoyed it much more this time. I went out with a few British friends to and Irish pub. As we sat there talking about the ship and our jobs, I noticed how distinct my accent made me. It’s been a while since I was the token American. It always makes me chuckle. Again, the fact that it wasn’t ship food made that club sandwich the best one I’ve ever had. It was really good, regardless. And then, the best part of the meal, something I didn’t even realize I’d been craving until I had it again, a Magners. Now I know what some of you may be thinking – Kenz, you had Magners in the States. Not like this. I was right. They are different in Europe. They are a pint of Heaven over here and nothing can compare. I took that first sip and I was taken back to Dublin. I closed my eyes and in that split second of sipping I was back with Shaina and Em again. I was on the top of the Fitzsimmon’s bundled up and happy with my pint. It was a nice throwback.

Now I’m sitting in the broadcast as we sail towards Germany. One more sea day and I may have the opportunity to go to Berlin. If not, it’s Warnemunde, Germany. Either way I’m finally going to get to see Germany. As long as the North Sea waves don’t kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment