Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oh Hey, There's the Seasickness...

Ok, first seasick day. The North Sea is not being very nice today. I don’t know what we did to piss off Thor, but I don’t ever want to do it again. In my cabin it’s alright, since I’m not very high up. The broadcast room is ok since it’s mid-ship, but of course the place where I had most of my work this sea day is the Celebrity Theater – deck 7 forward. It is one of the rockiest places on the ship and I’m trying to steady my shots and my focus, which makes getting sick easier. I’ll get by.

The days blur together around the ship. I work everyday, so there are no weekends. The only break up of the week is port day or sea day. Sea days I hate, port days are great.

Last Sunday we were in Olden, Norway and I decided to simply take a walk. It was a beautiful setting of fjords, little houses and a big lake. The flowers perfumed the air and it was a lovely walk.

I’ve been going to the crew bar at night with my new girl, Val. It’s nice and it makes adjusting easier. All these faces I see in the halls and at meal times are there, too. So I’m gradually making more friends. It is so fascinating to be surrounded by so many different nationalities. I live for it.

Last Monday we were in Bergen, Norway. This is easily my second favorite port, next to Alesund. There was a cute outdoor market with crafts, jewelry, trinkets, seafood and fruit. Then we took the funicular to the top of one of the mountains. Having such a gorgeous view while sitting on stone steps reminded me of Paris and being at the top of the Sacre Couer. The biggest smile came, though, when I saw multiple 7-11’s around the city that reminded me of Mikey and his enthusiasm for the chain. However, he would have been severely disappointed to find out that there were NO slushies…

Random cruise moment: As I was setting up for the debarkation talk on our last sea day, I struck up a conversation with two American women. They asked where I went to school and I told them I had gone to Elon University. I quickly followed that with, “it’s a small school in North Carolina,” as I typically due since no one knows Elon. Before I could finish one of the women turned to me and said, “I went to Elon.” I was shocked, I said, “No you didn’t!” She told me about how she and her husband both attended Elon and went to their 50th class reunion last homecoming. She asked if I knew Dr. Danieley and we chatted about how the school has changed. It was so great to be able to talk to someone about Elon. It’s the little things from home that make me happy.

I had my first embarkation day yesterday. So I was back in Amsterdam on a less than stellar day. It was rainy and gross, but I spent the afternoon with Val and Tina, which kept me in good spirits.

Like I said, today is a little rough, but tomorrow we are back in Alesund, which I’m really looking forward to – mostly so this ship will stop rocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment