Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bye Bye Warnemunde

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day in Germany. The sun was shining and there was a cool breeze as Valerie and I walked to the train station. Our unair-conditioned train took us to the medieval town of Rostock, just 30 minutes from our port of call, Warnemunde. When we arrived we walked about fifteen minutes into town and found the most adorable shop lined streets. We had lunch at Subway. Now I know what you're thinking, you're in Europe and you get Subway!? We each have tasted the local cuisine and sometimes you just want something familiar - especially with the crap they serve us onboard. It was perfect. We sat outside and Valerie went on and on about how she could spend all day getting some sun on the sidewalk.

We walked around, popping in souvenir shops and I looked for a new camera. Yea, mine finally died. The lens won't even open anymore. Sad, I know, but I'll find a cheap one somewhere soon. Rostock was the perfect size city. It was big enough that it looked like there was always something to do, but not so big that it became intimidating - like my beloved NYC can be. It was the kind of town I want to settle in one day. Don't worry people, the German language scares me too much to ever even consider moving here.

After we got our fill of Rostock we got back on th train bound for Warnemunde, both mine and Val's favorite port. It's such a cute little town with a pier and sailboats, seagulls and shops. There are cheap clothing stores and windows displaying amber jewelry. What did I buy? Candy. Yea, I know, but if you could taste this German chocolate, you'd stock up, too. Val and I ended our last day in our favorite port by sitting on a little bench taking pictures of ourselves and the authentic German pretzels we bought. Like I said, the perfect farewell to my favorite Baltic port.

No comments:

Post a Comment