Sunday, August 9, 2009

Did Anyone Meet Anyone Not From the Ship?

Being out here at sea is trying. Everyday I'm happy to be here, and I have a nice little life setup for myself. Good friends, a job I generally enjoy, and ports of call I never would have found on my own. However, there are days where home feels too far away. Those are the days like yesterday, when you get bad news from home, and at the same time you know there's a big event going on you're missing. Valerie joked today as we walked back to the ship from Tallinn, "good old home sweet home," she called it. "No," I said, "Dear God, do not call it that," I chuckled back to her.
I was up most of the night thinking of home. Doesn't help matters that my bunk bed wall is plastered with pictures of those I care about. Ones with the Fabulous 5 of Elon, Mikey and me, Cheri, Dannika, Glenn, and family.
I know this is an amazing opportunity I'm having, I know. Please don't think I'm unhappy. Just needed to get the homesickness off my chest.
Two nights ago was our overnight in St. Petersburg, so a bunch of the crew hopped into taxis and found a Russian night club. What. A. Night. Wow. Essentially, I've realized living on a ship has made us lose all socializing abilities, since we only talked to one another and we basically took the crew bar and put it in a Russian bar. It was fun to at least get out and have a new setting. Makes me look forward to the overnight in Amsterdam.
Today was Tallinn, Estonia. There isn't a whole lot to do in this tiny town, but we found the beautiful Alexander Cathedral and I dragged Valerie inside. It was very Russian influenced, with gold adornents all over. We also had a very nice lunch at an Irish pub (go figure, right?) and then found the most delcious pastries at this coffee shop in a cave. Yes, in a cave.
Tonight's the 70's Night Fever in the disco and my cruise director has informed me that we need to shoot the daily announcements early, as he needs at least 45 minutes to get into his "70's getup." Yup, just another day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment